- Introduction: The University of Rwanda, Directorate of Research, Innovation and Postgraduate Studies Unit (UR-DRIPGS) gives support to UR researchers to present papers at internationally peer reviewed Conferences. For the 2017/2018 fiscal year, the grants scheme is funded under the Research Management Sub-Programme of the UR-Sweden Programme for Research, Higher Education and Institutional Advancement through the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida). The aim of the Grant Scheme is to provide UR researchers with networking opportunities and get peer critique of their research results.
- Criteria for funding: Academic staff whose abstracts (or full papers) have been accepted for oral presentation, and who meet the following criteria: (i) The paper must be presented in international research conference and be publishable in an indexed journal. (ii) Only applications that can be supported within the budget limits will be funded. However, partial funding is also possible provided proof of the other support is given. (iii) Posters, short presentations as well as Keynote speeches that are not based on research findings are not eligible for funding (iv) Supported applicants will submit a report of attendance to the the Vice Chancellor with a copy to UR-DRIPGS within 8 days of closure of the conference.
- When to apply: Applications are invited anytime time.
- How to apply: Any applicant who meets the criteria will send his/her application to College Director of Research, Innovation and Postgraduate Studies. The College will select two (2) applications to be supported by the fund and inform the applicants in writing. The College Dir RIPGS will send the selected applications with proceedings of their selection to the UR-DRIPGS for processing.
- Attachments: Before release of funds, the UR-DRIPGS will require from the selected applicants (i) Proforma invoices for registration fee, airticket, & travel insurance (ii) Letter of invitation (signed) for oral presentation, (iii) The abstract, (iv) The conference programme (v) The estimated budget, and (v) The mission clearance.
- Budget Ceiling: RWF 3,168,000 (three million one hundred sixty eight thousand Rwanda francs) per grant.
- Who is not eligible: Since the grants are limited, the following will not be supported: (i) Recipients of the Ordinary Research Grants and Post-doc grants for the 2013/2014, 2014/2015, 2015/2016 and 2016/2017 Grants Cycles whose conference attendance and presentation should come from their grant budgets (ii) Recipients of grants from this scheme since 2015/2016 are not eligible (iii) UR staff on PhD studies with UR sponsorship whose study budgets include conference attendance and presentations and will not be supported unless proof is provided to the contrary.
- Note: After April 2018, funds not spent will be used to support staff regarless of the college of the applicant.
Click here to download the announcement
Issued by: Prof. Kato J. Njunwa,
Ag. University Director of Research, Innovation and Postgraduate Studies,
University of Rwanda
Date: 3rd October 2017